Sunday, April 29, 2012

French Linen and Old White Dresser



The curvy details of this dresser are drool-worthy! 




I have had a lot of Frenchy furniture (which I love) lately, so I was thrilled to see this antique beauty pop up on Craigslist! And only three minutes from my house? That never happens!




Inspired by this dresser by Layla Grace I decided to use ASCP in Old White and French Linen. If you happen to have about 37 days free and lots of drool rags, you should take a look at the Layla Grace website. Bee-you-ti-fullll, but definitely out of my real life budget!



First, I painted the entire dresser in French Linen. I find that when using two colors, it is easier for me to cut in on the flat areas than the raised curvy moulding, so I always do the raised parts first. Then I went back and used a small, crafty brush maybe a 1/4 inch wide to cut in with Old White. This took so much more time than I thought it should have! I had to remind myself numerous times that it was a paintbrush and not a magic wand. If you happen to have a good magic wand source, would you please message me? Thanks!

Next I took a chip brush and dabbed a tiny amount of Old White on the French Linen raised parts. Before this is sanded it looks not so vaguely like 1980's sponge painting. Not too pretty.


Next, I dry brushed some more Old White across all of the sponginess.


Then, I sanded the heck out of it. I sand so much that I think that at some point my right arm will be disproportionate with my body. Not even kidding!


See how the French Linen peeks out from under the Old White? I love it!


The dresser had all of its original hardware, and it is gorgeous! Sometimes I spend a small fortune on hardware so this was a lovely break!




This beauty is at Restoration Emporium for the May sale. Maybe. I kind of love her.

Linking here:


Wow Us Wednesdays Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Chrystal, that is a beautiful piece! Great job.
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! LOVE it..Chrystal, I follow you for some time past and I'll glad if follow back to http://ahouseofonesown-monicalivas.blogspot.com/

    Hugs from Turkey,
    Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this piece! I am just starting to use the ASCP and love what you do with it!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrystal, you did a wonderful job on your dresser. I love it so much that I had to share your transformation on Facebook.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a find! This is an amazing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooked on your blog. Officially. Great work! Looking forward to seeing more! Hope over and say hello anytime! Have a great weekened! -Kennesha
    www.restorationhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I think I want Linen :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I'll come visit it in real-life (we're neighbors - I'm on the 4th floor at Hello, Sailor!) Thanks for sharing! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori!! We ARE neighbors! How exciting! I visited Hello Sailor for the first time last month and really enjoyed the hike up the never-ending stairs! What a place full of fabulousness it is! Let's find each other next weekend and compare boy stories :-)

      Delete
  9. Stunning! Can't wait to pin this one! Thanks so much for the inspiration! You do such fabulous work!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - such an amazing piece to start with - and you did a beautiful job. Love that paint combination - may have to try that myself. I'm building up my collection of ASCP colors. . . I came through from FFF at MMS - and I'm giving away an MMS t-shirt and clay tag (from my trip to Lucketts) over this weekend. Stop by if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just did a dresser very similar to this, and wish I had seen this first. Mine is nice, but yours is Amazing! Love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you do a clear wax between paint colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not! Just sanded right through the white and there was the Linen :-)

      Delete
  13. I love the piece, I am going to try my first piece in a few days ,maybe I can try and get it to look close to yours.all hints and tips appreciated..

    ReplyDelete