Friday, September 28, 2012

The Yellow Piano

In April, I received a Facebook message from a young man named Lance. He asked if I would consider painting a piano as a wedding gift for his bride, a gifted pianist. His thought was yellow and chippy, my thought was, yep, a yellow piano!! Count me in!


In the real world, one of the greatest blessings in my life has been the restaurant we own. It is obviously the main source of income for our family, but, it is so much more than that. The relationships that have been formed there have been life changing to me. We are so fortunate to meet many teenagers at a time in their lives when they are still figuring out who they are. Most of them have no idea how amazing they are yet. I know, but they don't. I love watching them grow through high school and college and beyond to marriage and babies. It is truly a thrill.

Lance was one of those kids. In high school, he drove 45 minutes each way to work with us, this was a purposeful young man. He met his (now) wife in high school and was just as intentional with her. They dated in high school and then long distance through college. She has his heart.

When Lance brought the piano to my house, his father explained that this was Lance's grandmother's piano. He said that she would be honored and proud to be a part of this gift. 


The theme of the wedding was vintage and the colors were yellow and brown. Thus, the yellow piano. The fabric on the seat is the fabric from Lance's wedding tie. Seriously, my boys need to take lessons from Lance!


I painted it using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Arles and chipped it with a putty knife for a truly vintage look. I LOVE, LOVE it! 

The sparkly crystal knobs came from Hobby Lobby...


And her gift to him? She played...beautifully... on the chippy, yellow piano that used to be his Grandmother's.




Linking to these amazing parties;


Pin It

28 comments:

  1. That is sooooo cool. Love the story & love the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a beautiful piano--and such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sniff, sniff. It's just so romantic!

    Love the yellow piano!!! I have a big old brown upright that I refinished about 25 years ago and would love to paint it. I just might.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrystal, you did such a stunning job on the piano! It must be such a good feeling to be part of their special day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the piano and the story. What a fabulous young couple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the story! Love it and the piano! Two for one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story and beautiful job, love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE YOUR PIANO, ITS A BEAUTY, IF THAT WOULD BE OK PLEASE LET ME KNOW,
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren! That would be great, thank you!

      Delete
    2. Not sure if you caught the feature you can see it here.
      thanks again
      http://westfurniturerevival.blogspot.com/2012/10/revival-monday-84.html

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful piece!! You did an amazing job, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The piano looks amazing and what a great story too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the whole story, and painting a piano, this young man is a keeper..so sweet for him to think of this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww. sniff, sniff. lovely work and story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love that piano bench fabric! what a great gift. saw you at Better After. There's a party at my place, if you do that sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over and linking up! This is just an amazing project!

      Delete
  14. Ummm....As the wife of a Registered Piano Technician, a pianist myself and a decorator, I gotta say I'm not too in love with the "after" look. We've actually painted quite a few pianos too that started out looking pretty battered from school room use :-)

    What I DO love is that this is a wonderful gift idea for his lovely bride and her gift of playing for him.

    Now for their first anniversary, he needs to get her a grand piano! :-) This little spinet is not going to cut it for too long if she's really gifted :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...never heard of 'if you can't say somethin' nice...don't say nuthin' at all'! Who cares if you are the wife of a registered piano techy, a pianist and a decorator...clearly everybody has different taste.
      I'm a great mom, a loving sister and a devoted wife...and I've been to 6 different countries...and umm, oh, I make an awesome apple pie with the best crust in the state....and I happen to think the piano looks great!
      Who cares...:)

      Delete
  15. Hahahaha Awesome post thanks for share with us .. I want to share it on my facebook can you give me permission ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful story that will be told over and over again throught the generations. I hope they took lots of pictures. This is why I love purchasing old furniture for my home instead of new pieces. Each piece has it's unique story to tell for all time.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. The piano turned out beautiful, It is a perfect story for the grandkids of the new couple.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bahhh!! This made me tear up. Beautiful... the piano, their story, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What's up colleagues, how is all, and what you want to say on the topic of this piece of writing, in my view its genuinely amazing designed for me.
    Also visit my site ... nc esc

    ReplyDelete