Saturday, June 16, 2012

And Then I Built a Farm Table...

I love farm tables. 
  


For the last few months I have had a farm table in my space at Restoration Emporium. One I built, one was a Craigslist find that I refinished. The first one I built for my family. I called it the "Manners Table". I built it when my husband insisted that we teach our four boys manners. It didn't work. I sold it. Hopefully it works in its new home!


Last month, I wanted another one for my space but couldn't find one already made and decided two days before the sale to build one. There may be something wrong with my brain, this is a BIG job! Seriously kids, don't try this at home. My hand was swollen for 4 days from drilling all of the holes with my Kreg Jig. Ouch! Something wrong with me...


I modified some plans from Ana White to use with some turned legs I had on hand. Yep, I have several sets of table legs on hand... doesn't everyone? If you are just beginning to learn how to build furniture, Ana's site is fabulous. I like to say that I learned to build from Ana White and how to paint from Miss Mustard Seed. I like to say that because its the truth. And telling the truth is a very good idea. Just ask my children :-)


Here are some pictures of the table in progress. I will write an actual tutorial soon. I believe in my heart that everyone should build a farm table.









So, everyone go buy a Kreg Jig and a set of table legs and lets all build farm tables together.

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Great job--it looks fantastic. You seem to be quite handy! I leave this kind of work to my husband:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it all look so easy! I ended up buying a kit table for our kitchen, built much like the way you built yours. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is, Wow! You DO make it look so easy! Your table looks fabulous! If you ever teach a class on how to use power tools, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies! You can totally do this! There is nothing crazy hard about any of it. With the right tools and a good plan, anyone can build!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so IMPRESSED!!! I have table legs, and I am always so intimidated at the prospect of building a table. I am putting this on the list. Thanks for the encouragement! I am sure this will sell fast. It looks amazing. Two days, seriously? I do hope you will stop by and link this up tomorrow!!!! Party starts at 2:00 EST.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for you to post a tutorial on this. It looks so fun and I want one bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing ! these farm tables are looking so attractive ,if you design farm tables well which you get more and more sell .

    Best wishes from Canada!
    Bobcan
    Owner of farm table company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this on facebook. I was wondering if you have had any issues with the wood boards warping or buckling? I've been doing a lot of reading about furniture making and most places say you need to compensate for seasonal wood movement if you don't use plywood. It seems like the plans at ana-white.com don't account for this. It's a beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Where did you purchase your table legs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you happen to know the dimensions of this? Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete