Monday, October 10, 2011

The one that is staying


                                           


I found this buffet on Craigslist, like most of the other furniture I buy. When I emailed for a time to pick it up, I requested my usual "after 3" time so my son could go get it with me. The owner suggested that I might need more than a teenage boy and his mother to pick this up. I kindly informed her that we were a pretty good pair and could likely handle it.




Ummm, wrong! Not happening. This mamma jamma weighs at LEAST 4247 pounds, without the drawers! But, for the love, it was not much money and I needed it.


So what's a girl to do? I hired myself some movers! Minimum of 3 hours. I can move a lot of things in 3 hours. All I can say is that these boys were good sports and I learned some new ways to string four letter words together as they moved furniture up and down the stairs. 




The buffet had definitely seen better days, it had the infamous "good bones" but for whatever reason, the previous owner had let her cat use it as a scratching post. A 4247 pound scratching post. And I thank her for that, otherwise this would have been out of the realm of affordability for me.



About six minutes after the moving boys left, I busted out my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I was dying to try the new can of Coco that had been calling my name. My favorite thing about the deeper Chalk Paint colors is how they cover, often in one coat.

Because I was going for a frenchy look, after the Coco dried I watered down some Old White and brushed it on. I let that set up for a few seconds (like 15) and spritzed it with water, then I took a rag and rubbed, blotted and smushed until I liked the way it looked. 

Next was a light sanding,  because the top coat of Old White wasn't thick and I finished it off with Clear Wax and a bit of Dark Wax. I don't always use wax with ASCP (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint), sometimes I use a water base floor urethane or a poly acrylic, it really depends on the piece. If you stick around, you will find that I love ASCP, but I don't always follow the rules. Yep, I'm an outlaw.

Here she is, and this will be her permanent home, right here on this wall. Mostly because I can't move her. She was painted right here and here she stays. She weighs 4247 pounds, she's a chunk!








Thanks for being a part of my first furniture blog post! I have lots more to come and I am excited to be here. I think I'll link myself up in a few places, if only I can figure out how to do that :-)







Pin It

37 comments:

  1. I'm glad you saved it from being a cat post. It does have lovely bones & usually I avoid painting a classic piece. However, this one looks all the better for it. Congrats on a super renovation.
    alsmouse ~C8> ratty hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! how gorgeous is that? so unique!!! it looks beautiful and its fresh paint shows off htose details so much better- they were lost in all that dark brown-ness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous piece. I do just like you and paint them right where they are instead of moving them. Great job for your first piece. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have said your first piece in a post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a C List find. Jealous of that! Fantastic refinish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out beautiful! I NEVER find pieces that cheap and pretty on CL and I've been at this for awhile now! :-) Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! She is a keeper for sure.
    I'll be back to see more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! What a beauty, and what a price...lucky you!!! LOVE what you did with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, just BEAUTIFUL...so fresh and clean now...love it!

    Deborah ♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can drop by and say hi!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous transformation! if you love shabby, hope you'll come visit my blog where i interviewed the queen (Rachel) this week.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous piece! I love the detail and carvings. You finished it perfectly too, the sheen is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a gorgeous piece! No wonder you are keeping it. I would be delighted if you would like this or one of your other creative projects to Potpourri Friday currently in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a stunning piece!! I am a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping back by to say thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday! You have made the party more fun! I hope you will make it a weekly party stop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you will have a very sucessful blog--have you blogged before? Maybe I am missing something:) I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks bunches Sandy! I am definitely new to blogging myself, but I read them like they are the air I need to survive! Addiction. Problem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm stopping by again to say many thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation! I hope that you will make this a weekly party stop!

    I am a new friend and follower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this piece, I am drooling as I have a place this would look great. Congrats on your blog, I will subscribe so I can see what else you are up to. Kim skeems20@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just absolutely beautiful! I NEVER find things this sweet on craigslist! I love how the details pop now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazingly gorgeous. Lucky girl on that find!!

    If you would like I would love for you to stop over for my very first link party and chalk paint giveaway! I know my readers would just love it!

    http://www.threeboys.net/2011/10/vintage-furniture-link-party-1-chalk.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. pret-ty, pret-ty! amazing at the lengths we go to do amazing things...! :) Esther from fleurcottage

    ReplyDelete
  22. I featured you today at Potpourri Friday party!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see more from you. You rock!!!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw you featured over at Potpourri Friday. I love, love, love this gorgeous piece! Your pictures are beautiful, you obviously have a great eye for decorating. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Unbelievable! You're so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a gorgeous piece of furniture. That was an incredible buy from CL. You did an awesome job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so enjoying your furniture pieces! I have a basement full and haven't gotten started- wanna come over? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. holy moly, that is one amazing find!! you knocked this one outta the park!!

    guess i'm gonna have to follow you now...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful piece and you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This turned out so pretty. Thanks for sharing on MMS!

    ReplyDelete
  31. GORGEOUS BUFFET ! VERY UNIQUE AND I LOVE WHAT YOU DID WITH IT. I'D LOVE TO FEATURE IT ON MY REVIVAL MONDAY IF THAT WOULD BE OK WITH YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful!!! wow, love the idea of spritzing with water and thinning it down....great job! Love Coco too!!! Keep them coming!!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, Chrystal! What a great find! I can't wait to see more furniture makeovers from you! I am intrigued by your outlaw ways when it comes to painting methods! I've pinned your project to my ASCP inspiration board! Thank you for sharing! Oh, and I don't want to rush my little boys into growing up too quickly but I am sure looking forward to having some muscles to drag along with me to CL pick ups! :)
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's a beautiful piece and you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is absolutely gorgeous!!! Wow!! I LOVE it!! Would love for you to come share at Feathered Nest Friday too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I discovered you and your blog today after looking at chalk paint projects. I know you posted this blog forever ago, but WOW. Love this stunning piece. Its just so beautiful, and I kept flicking the before and after pics, was it really the same peice. I would love this baby forever, loving your work and your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Absolutely love what you did with this gorgeous piece! I'm a newish furniture painting (and other stuff) blogger myself. See what I did with a pretty plain jane of a piece using coco and old white and plenty of dark wax at my blog: www.newlifedecorandmore.com

    ReplyDelete