Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Concussion and the Wrong Dresser.

This has been a painful sort of week in our house. Football season in a house of boys = aches and pains, bumps and bruises. It also means that my boys are happier than in any other season of the year. In crazy boy world, a bruise is a badge of honor and "I was BEAST" is a proud and proper sentence. It also apparently means, if an 11 year old complains of a headache, he may have a concussion. Which means STOP. Stop playing in the game, stop playing outside later, stop doing chores. Lay down and rest. Right now. At least that's what the Dr. told me on Tuesday. Three full, bad mom days after he was hurt. The good news is, he will be fine. Lesson learned.








The painful part of my furniture painting week involved this dresser. I bought it an auction and can you believe it, I bought the wrong one! There were two very similar dressers, one broken, one not. Guess which one I bought?  Yep! The broken one, ugggghhh! Well, onward and upward. I got out my clamps and wood glue and got to work.








My first thought was paint it a creamy white. It had beautiful pulls and would have looked lovely painted and shabbied up a bit. But I was seriously irritated that I had the wrong dresser so I decided to punish it by painting it a new color to me, Provence in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Don't get me wrong, Provence is a beautiful color, I am just reaaallly comfortable with a smooth, creamy white. After the first few brush strokes, I actually had to force myself to stay sitting down and finish this piece in Provence. I literally wanted to grab a rag and wipe it all off. This color goes on blindingly bright but does dry darker, thank goodness!






After it dried, I did some sanding and distressing with 220 grit sand paper and guess what? I didn't hate it! I finished it with Aqua Zar Antique Flat Water-Based Urethane. I sometimes use Annie Sloan's clear wax, but I really like this Urethane. It's not super shiny and it feels really nice to the touch. Plus, I found it at my favorite "crap" store for less than $20 for a gallon. Score!!










After I refinished the top and added some sparkly crystal knobs, I took it to my booth at the Lone Elm Antique Mall. It was there all of a day when a lady walked in and bought it! It reminded me of when I was younger and had just started working at a jewelry store, I got some valuable advice from an wise lady I worked with. She told me to "stop selling jewelry out of your own wallet". That meant, just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean someone else can't. For this dresser, that was good advice too. If you are selling your items, paint some that are outside of your "go to" colors, someone will love them!! If you are painting for yourself, do what you love!!


My next project is in the works and it is just for me! I am sooooo excited!


I am linking this to the following parties;


Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Feature Friday


Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Night Special


The DIY Showoff Project Parade



Between Naps on The Porch


Savvy Southern Style Pin It

32 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a new follower and I gave you a versatile blogger award over at Between the Rafters. (I love both of your projects so far!) Please stop by and see who else got the award and maybe become my newest follower! Thanks! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the curves of this dresser! And the paint redo just makes it even more stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the color you chose for the dresser! It looks great with the stained top! What a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous color. Love it!

    Dana @ craftedniche.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so pretty! I would totally freak out using that color straight off too. Actually, I'm planning on painting something this weekend a color I normally wouldn't... and this thing is hopefully going to be in my house!! We'll see how that turns out :) Good job going in for something new! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your advise! It's hard for me to not paint everything in the ASCP Old White. But I have to say I love the Provence. I'm keeping my eye on you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi @ Making It Homey said...That is so funny, I mean buying the wrong one at an auction. I did the exact thing last week at our local auction. I bought a waterfall dresser, which I'm not crazy about to begin with, but then to discover that I got a piece of junk, well, like you said get out the clamps, glue, matches:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, might have been the wrong one...but you SURE made it RIGHT!! It's GORGEOUS!!

    Deborah ♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can drop by and say hi!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post, you're too right on so many different levels. Love what you did to this girl! She looks divine. andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turned out beautifully. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of the kind words ladies! You make me feel all squishy inside! ~ Chrystal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you here in KC? Found your lovely dresser on MMS and came over and saw that you mention Lone Elm Antique Mall! I love when I find other "local" crafty gals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erin! I am in KC too! I just took a peek at your blog and I love your goodies and I looooovvvee Bella Patina! I am your newest follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out really nice. Love the color and the crystal knobs definitely make it shine!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. seriously? this is what you do when you DON'T CARE? hmm. perhaps you should toss your cares out the window before you paint anything!

    first visit...glad i came by!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I read your post I thought of a friend blogger, SueBee, who also loves the Provence, and has convinced me to try it. (And then when I decided to make a comment, I saw her comment above...)Your dresser turned out awesome. I can't wait to try that color. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice, great curvy drawers, lovely color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry about the concussion! I have two little boys so I'm pretty much planning on this happening sometime in their future. Also sorry you bought the wrong dresser but WOW it turned out AMAZING! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crystal,
    With 4 boys, I know you have your hands full! I have 2, now pretty much grown but still need a little taking care of every now and then! The color on your dresseer is lovely, though like you, it would be outside my "box"! That was great advice you got and that just goes to show that sometimes, that's exactly what we need to do! Found you at Funky Junk and am your newest follower! Would love for you to visit me!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, is this was the wrong dresser I'd hate to see the right dresser, It turned out beautiful, and you did an exceptional job. How ever do you handle it with 4 kids. It's so beautiful W=Ii would love for you please to post this at my 1st Sunday's Best Party. You need to share!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry about the accident in football! We just started tackle this year with my son who is 10 and the games make me so nervous!

    Beautiful work on the dresser, I host a link party every weekend, from Friday-Sunday at midnight. If you make it, I would love for you to link up. If not, maybe next weekend. This is a fantastic project!

    Thank you so much for sharing. (visiting from MMS)

    redoux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. After looking at your finished dresser I would call this the right one...it's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the dresser! The color is fantastic! And I also love the fact that you're a football mom too. I hear the "beast" verb all the time. :) Isn't having boys great?! I found your blog through the Versatile Blog Award post on Between the Rafters. Im taking her advice and following you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have this dresser in storage. It belonged to my husband. I don't know how he would feel about me painting it, but I will show him how lovely yours turned out!Thanks for the inspiration and the refinisher (you) and the buyer have very good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The dress come out great, even if it was the wrong one! Laura Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a huge turquoise fan, so it's funny to me that you had to force yourself to paint it that color! But you learned a great lesson to paint for your customers, rather than yourself, when selling!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it and recently painted a dresser in Provence to sell. It's still for sale and was wondering if you mind telling me what you sold it for. I'm thinking I may have mine listed too high but kinda new to this so not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Megan, I think I had it priced at $199. I am pretty new at this too, my first booth just opened in May. My best advice is just to adjust your prices according to what works in your area. From what I can gather it is not the same everywhere! Best wishes in your new business!

    ReplyDelete