Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Painting The Wood Paneling....Finally!

Hey! How ya doing?




It has been, like, 700,000 years since I last blogged, so I may be a little rusty ~ but let's give her a whirl!


We have lived in our current home for almost 2 years. And, I don't like it. I don't like the low ceilings and the walls. There are a LOT of walls. And jail bars. This house was built in 1969, long before the term "open concept" meant anything. The family room has dark paneled walls and is dungeon like with our very comfortable, dark leather furniture. So, here's the thing. I CAN FIX THIS!! I just hadn't.


My husband (bless his heart) does not enjoy the process of fixing things. The mess and chaos is just not his thing. This may be some kind of psychiatric issue for me, but, I could care less. Like, I don't even notice it. I could step over cords and furniture and mess like it wasn't even there. As long as there is an end in sight, a reason for the disarray, I am happy to adjust. Him, not so much.



I do my projects when he is not home. Thankfully (is that even okay to say?), he travels a bit for work so I have some free time. I knew a few months ago that he would be gone this week for a family wedding and that I would not be going. Kids going back to school, two vacations already this summer yada, yada yah~just couldn't do it. So I have been secretly shopping and pinning and collecting in preparation for this week.


When we moved into this house, the main wall in the family room looked like this. My only picture, I hated it so much.



A friend of mine had removed some of her built in shelving and asked if I wanted it.




I altered it and added it to the giant rock wall and made a mantle from cheap wood and I liked it a little more, but the dark walls...ugggh.




So when Lloyd left this time, operation "Get Your Crap Together Chrystal" began. I didn't tell him anything about it and had hoped to surprise him when he came home but, he found out because he Facebook stalks me. I should have known.

First to go was the jail bars between the kitchen and family room. Better already. Then, filling and sanding at least a million knot holes in the wood. Then paint. Thank you Tiny Baby Jesus for paint. For reals, I love paint. And Jesus. Not in that order.


Here is where I started






This is the end of day one. See the mess? I am glad you do. I do not see it :-)




After a few days of this "disorganization" let's call it, it's done. Now, why on earth did I wait so long?  
















The wall color is a Lowe's color called Stone Mason Gray mixed in Benjamin Moore Advance paint. The trim is White Cloud also mixed in BM Advance. A quick word about this paint, I love it!! The guys at the BM store I use know that I paint furniture and that I don't use their paint to do it. They are forever trying to get me to use their Advance line on my furniture, its a waterborne alkyd paint which means it acts like an oil base paint but cleans up with water. It is amazing. Self leveling and HARD! I have already made a trip back to the store to thank them!!

Thanks for all of the kind words on my Shabbiest Chick facebook page! Facebook seems to be easier for me than blogging regularly but I am going to try to do better! I promise, I am!! 

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one of the best transformations I have seen! You done good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. chrystal why oh why did you wait so long my gosh i thought you were going to have to call hubs and give him the new addy it looks like a totally different gorgeous house the color is awesome love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I love that gray...

    ReplyDelete