Monday, May 21, 2012

The Beast is a Beauty

This is the new, but old, china cabinet that inspired me to sell the china cabinet formerly known as my favorite china cabinet in the whole world. My Frenchy Hutch, (seen here) was sold at the April sale at Restoration Emporium. I was lucky enough to meet the girl who bought it and I am confident that it went to a good and loving home, she was excited and so was I!


I found this beast/beauty when I went to pick up some other furniture from an older gentleman. He had tons of furniture and it was all being sold at great prices. It has five original, curved glass panels and amazing carved details. As lovely as it was, it also came complete with mouse doo and a plate of old, nasty fried chicken in the drawer. Seriously? Who does that! 


There was some major disinfecting that would need to take place here. I returned his plate of chicken, and loaded up my finds and promptly brought them home to sit in my garage for two months. Waiting for inspiration to strike. I had lots of ideas but none of them seemed quite right, sometimes you have to be willing to wait for the right idea. In the meantime, I decided to paint the whole thing with Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Old White. The base color is always a good place to start and I planned to add the accent color later when I made a decision.

I have always been a fan of the "big chippy" look, the look that can be achieved with Vaseline if you are spraying latex. It was just by messing around that I found a way to do this with chalk paint. I used a flexible putty knife and just lightly scraped off the paint in spots and then lightly sanded down the edges of the chipped areas. It was better than I had hoped and I decided to heavily distress it and leave it all Old White.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Although I love the look, I do realize that it is not for everyone. I had a client in my garage just after it was finished and she asked me what my plans were for it :-) I laughed and said that it was done, she looked shocked and said that it looked like the paint was peeling off.  Exactly.

I removed the back of the cabinet and sprayed it with adhesive spray and attached some alphabet script fabric. I have a weakness for script fabric, it is amazing to me that when the alphabet is written in script it looks fancy and not elementary. 


Here it is in my dining room as it is today, it is definitely a work in progress. But at least it is presentable and mostly clean. This is more of an accomplishment than you may know! Most of the time the dining room is the place my work junk lands before it is tagged and brought to the shop. So, clean is good!






So the Beast is a Beauty, to me.





Pin It

12 comments:

  1. That is beyond beautiful--I love it! I know what you mean about the chippy paint. I love it when I see it on blogs and stuff though I tend to always "fix" it a bit for myself. I want to be chippy but I'm just not there yet. But I do love the look! My Mom on the other hand thinks anyone who considers chippy furniture done has something wrong with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bow front....drool...and I adore the script backing, great ideas!!
    thanks for sharing
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! My whole family likes the chippy look. I also love your blog. We are having our blog redone, and I gave your blog as a sample for what we like. We have a shop and most of our customers like the distressed look but not too distressed. LOL Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love am in love with the scrip fabric. I have some book shelves that need that!! Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! Where did you get the dining chairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chairs are from the first dining set my husband an I ever bought, 15 years ago! They are from Broyhill. I am not sure they are staying, but today, I own them and they are painted which is great because, more than anything, I hate painting chairs!!!

      Delete
  6. Love it! I'm your newest follower. I too love ASCP, but have never tried to achieve the chippy look. Thank you for the tip! The fabric is amazing as well.

    Melody

    www.mypassionfordecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh-mazing!! I have been in love with script fabric and am "this" close to breaking down and ordering some. It looks perfect in the back of this hutch and I'd be swapping out too, but I'm sure it wasn't an easy choice. You should be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you get the script fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun project! I have a china cabinet I am working on now with Old White and CoCo, love the fabric in the background and your chippy look!

    If you get a minute, I would love to have you stop by and share at my weekly Chalk Paint link party.

    www.ShadesofAmberInc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete