But FREE is my love language, so I didn't say no.
I decided it should be a bench.
I trimmed off the bottom inch of the legs and gave it a base coat of ASCP in Primer Red. I didn't paint the top because it was going to be covered.
Primer Red starts out frighteningly pink!
Next, I painted it Graphite as the top coat. When it was dry, I lightly spritzed it with water and wiped off a little of the Graphite to expose the Primer Red underneath. This method of distressing shows the base color and not the wood. A light sanding and then dark wax before clear to darken it.
The top screwed off inside and I trimmed some memory foam to fit. Then I covered it with batting and fabric then stapled it to the underside where it would be hidden inside the bench. I buy my memory foam as mattresses from a discount outlet. I call it the Crap Store. They have all kinds of ridiculousness there. I feel right at home.
It is sitting with a chalkboard coat rack that was made out of a broken footboard. I wish I had the right place for this combo. It sure was purty :-)